Lean in: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead


《女企业家LEAN IN的成功学和职场宝典》

Sheryl Sandberg

Sit at the Table
坐在桌旁

A few years ago, I hosted a meeting for Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner at Facebook. We invited fifteen executives from across Silicon Valley for breakfast and a discussion about the economy.

几年前,我在Facebook上主持了财政部长蒂姆•盖特纳 的会议。我们邀请了硅谷各地的15位高管共进早餐,并 就经济问题进行了讨论。

Secretary Geithner arrived with four members of his staff, two senior and two more junior, and we all gathered in our one nice conference room. After the usual milling around, I encouraged the attendees to help themselves to the buffet and take a seat. Our invited guests, mostly men, grabbed plates and food and sat down at the large conference table. Secretary Geithner’s team, all women, took their food last and sat in chairs off to the side of room. I motioned for the women to come sit at the table, waving them over so they would feel welcomed. They demurred and remained in their seats. The four women had every right to be at this meeting, but because of their seating choice, they seemed like spectators rather than participants. I knew I had to say something. So, after the meeting, I pulled them aside to talk. I pointed out that they should have sat at the table even without an invitation, but when publicly welcomed, they most certainly should have joined.

盖特纳部长和他的四名工作人员一起来了,其中两名是高 级职员,另外两名是低级职员。在我像往常一样四处乱转 之后,我让参会者拿取自助餐并坐下来。我们邀请的客人 大多是男性,他们拿着盘子和食物,在大会议桌旁坐下。 盖特纳国务卿的团队都是女性,她们最后端上食物,坐到 了角落的椅子上。我示意让女士们坐在桌旁,挥手示意她 们过来,让她们感到欢迎。她们提出异议,并留在了原本 的座位上。这四名女士有权参加这次会议,但由于座位的 方式,她们看起来像是观众,而不是参与者。我知道我必 须说些什么。因此,在会议结束后,我把她们拉到一边聊 天。我指出,即使没有邀请,她们也应该坐在桌旁,尤其 受到公众邀请时,她们更应该加入。

At first, they seemed surprised, then they agreed. It was a watershed moment for me. A moment when I witnessed how an internal barrier can alter women’s behavior. A moment when I realized that in addition to facing institutional obstacles, women face a battle from within. When I gave a TEDTalk on how women can succeed in the workforce, I told this story to illustrate how women hold themselves back, literally choosing to watch from the side-lines. And yet as disappointed as I was that these women made that choice, I also deeply understood the insecurities that drew them to the side of the room and kept them glued to those chairs.

起初,她们似乎很惊讶,然后她们认同了。对我来说,这 是一个转折点。我亲眼目睹了内在的障碍是如何改变女性 行为的。那一刻我意识到,除了面临体制上的障碍,女性 还面临着来自内部的斗争。当我在TED上做一个关于女性 如何在职场取得成功的演讲时,我讲了这个故事来说明女 性是如何退缩的,从字面上来说,就是选择从侧面观察。 然而,尽管我为这些女性做出了这样的选择感到失望,但 我也深深体会到,正是因为这种不安全感把她们拉到了房 间的一边,让她们粘在了椅子上。

My senior year of college, I was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa honor society. At that time, Harvard and Radcliffe had separate chapters, so my ceremony was for women only. The keynote speaker, Dr. Peggy McIntosh from the Wellesley Centers for Women, gave a talk called “Feeling Like a Fraud.”‘ She explained that many people, but especially women, feel fraudulent when they are praised for their accomplishments. Instead of feeling worthy of recognition, they feel undeserving and guilty, as if a mistake has been made. Despite being high achievers, even experts in their fields, women can’t seem to shake the sense that it is only a matter of time until they are found out for who they really are—impostors with limited skills or abilities.

大学四年级时,我被选入美国优等生荣誉学会。那时候, 哈佛和拉德克利夫有不同的典礼,所以我的毕业典礼只对 女生开放。主题演讲的主讲人是来自韦尔斯利妇女中心的 佩吉•麦金托什博士,她做了一个名为“感觉像个骗局” 的演讲。她解释说,很多人,尤其是女性,在被表扬成就 的时候,会觉得被欺骗。所谓的认可让她们感到愧疚,好 像她们是犯了一个错误。而这些人往往是女人。尽管这些 女人取得了很高的成就,甚至是她们所在领域的专家,可 她们似乎并不能摆脱这样的想法,她们会觉得自己技能或 能力有限,对她们的认可都像是欺骗,总有一天会被发现 的。

I thought it was the best speech I had ever heard. I was leaning forward in my chair, nodding vigorously. Carrie Weber, my brilliant and totally-not-a-fraud roommate, was doing the same. At last, someone was articulating exactly how I felt. Every time I was called on in class, I was sure that I was about to embarrass myself. Every time I took a test, I was sure that it had gone badly. And every time I didn’t embarrass myself—or even excelled—I believed that I had fooled everyone yet again. One day soon, the jig would be up.

我认为这是我听过的最好的演讲。我在椅子上向前倾着 身子,使劲地点着头。我聪明的室友卡丽•韦伯(Carrie Weber)也在做同样的事情。最后,终于有人确切地表达 了我的感受。每次我在课堂上被叫到发言时,我都觉得自 己要出丑了。每次考试,我都确信考得不好。然而每当我 没有让自己感到尴尬,甚至表现出色时,我都相信我再一 次欺骗了所有人。很快有一天,事情就会水落石出。

sound track:https://pan.baidu.com/s/1FwTbngXoD3KirdTMlAO5iQ 提取码:r6c3

这篇文章有趣又有用的短语和句子:

Treasury Secretary =财政部长

The current Secretary of the Treasury is 现任财政部长是史蒂文。

The former Treasury secretary has led the nation,s oldest and richest university for five years. 前财政部长花了 5年时间领导了美国最古老和最富有的大学。

  1. Mill around =兜圈子,不耐烦地走

There were a lot of people milling around the entrance.

入口周围有很多人在走动。

Once again, the meet ing was a waste of time, everyone was just milling around.

哎,这次会议又是浪费时间,每个人都在兜圈子。

  1. Help them/yourselves =请自便

在你串门吃饭时,你可以说:

Help yourself to whatever you want.

想拿什么随便来。

Can I borrow a pencil?—Yes, help yourself. 我可以借铅笔吗?

可以啊,你自己来吧。

  1. Demurred =反对某事

They demurred at working on Sundays. 他们对周日的工作表示建议。

The majority were in favour of the plan,but a few demurred.

多数人赞成了该计划,但少数人还是表示反对。

  1. Pulled (them) aside (to talk)拉(他们)在一边(说话)= 通常是为了私下讨论

I pulled the nurse aside so that I could ask a few more questions about my dad’s surgery.

我把护士拉到一边,这样我就可以再问一些有关我父亲手术的 问题。

My basketbal1 coach pulled me aside to discuss about my disappointing performance during the game. 我的篮球教练把我拉到一边,来讨论我在比赛中令人失望的表现。

  1. Watershed moment =指的是一个转折点

This is why we are at a watershed moment, and we must make the most of it.

这就是为什么我们处于转折点,我们必须充分利用它。

The outcome will be seen as a watershed moment in the intersection of sports and civil rights.

这个结果将被视为体育与民权相交的转折点。

  1. Fraudulent =期诈

A worrying trend for insurers has been a rise in fraudulent claims.

保险公司担心的趋势,是现在欺诈性索赔的上升。

He only got the new job by fraudulent means. 他只是因为欺诈的手段获得了新工作。

  1. Undeserving =不该得到,不配得到

Sometimes I feel unworthy or undeserving of the compliment.

有时候我觉得自己不值得或不配得到赞美。

Given Sam’ s  lack of practice and effort, his victory seems a little underserving.

鉴于Sam缺乏练习和努力,他的胜利似乎不太配。

  1. A matter of time =时间问题

You should tell him the truth; it will only be a matter of time before he finds out.

你应该告诉他真相;他发现其实就是时间问题。

If we don’ t act now, it is only a matter of time that the Earth will be destroyed.

如果我们现在不采取行动,毁灭地球真的只是时间问题。

  1. Impostors =冒名顶替者

They consider him to be nothing but an imposter. 我们认为他不过就是一个冒名顶替者。

I can’ t believe I ever trusted him, he was an imposter!

我不敢相信我曾经信任过他,他就是一个冒名顶替者!

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注